wallpaper

Thursday, May 15, 2014

DIY Shabby Chic Crate

There's not much storage space in my daughter's new loft apartment.  So, I've been looking for things to make that are not that expensive.  This idea I came across on the web.  It's an inkjet transfer onto the crate.  I found these crates at JoAnn Fabric for 40% off. 

After sanding the crate, I watered down a linen color acrylic paint and used it as a wash which allows you to still see the wood grain.

 
I then applied a walnut stain over the entire piece, rubbing off all the excess.  While that was setting, I printed my image onto wax paper with our inkjet printer.  I used photo editing software to reverse the image so the transfer wouldn't be backwards.  It took 3 attempts on my printer to get a clean print without smears.  I almost gave up!  While the stain is still wet on the crate, lay the ink side down very carefully and as straight as possible.  It can't be moved once it's down.  Use a credit card to rub the image onto the wood.  Remove the wax paper and WaaLaa...
 
 
It turned out so much better than I expected and Beki loves it!
 

1 comment:

The Gift

  Delivered this week, a gift I never expected arrived in the mail.  This story begins, it seems a lifetime ago, when I worked at Owens Comm...