wallpaper

Friday, October 26, 2012

Fall Cookies

One of my favorite holiday traditions is making Christmas, cut out sugar cookies.  Well, occasionally I get to craving them early and, thus, Fall cut out cookies!  When I was a little girl, my mom would help us make these cookies every year...no fail!  After my girl's were born, I started the same tradition.  Here's Ari at 2 helping to cut them out.  She's now 21!  
 
It's going to be a little different this year making them without at least one of the girls here to help. 

There is something about these cookies, everybody loves them.  I guess it's the perfect combination of tart, crunchy cookie and crispy frosting that makes us all crave for more.  I don't believe in "secret family recipes."  If it's that good, it should be shared!

 

Holiday Sugar Cookies

 
4 cups self rising flour
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs ( 1 seperated )
1 tsp. clear vanilla
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
 
Cream butter and sugar until light.  Add 1 whole egg and beat well.  Add egg yolk of second and beat.  Beat in vanilla and lemon juice.  Add flour little at a time.  May not take all the flour, make like pie crust.  Lightly flour table.  Divide into 4 parts.  Chill probably overnight.  Let dough become room temp. before rolling.  Roll with rolling pin on floured counter to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.  Cut with metal or plastic cookie cutters. 
Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees on greased cookie sheet or non-stick cookie sheet.
 

Frosting for Sugar Cookies

 
1 egg white
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla
Dash of salt
 
In electric mixer bowl, add all ingredients and whip until fluffy and frosting peaks.  If too thin add more powdered sugar.  Spread on with small knife.  Immediately sprinkle with favorite sugar and candy toppings as frosting will quickly set and harden.  May add food coloring to frosting.  Covers at least 3 dozen cookies. 
I always make a double batch of frosting.  I roll my cookies pretty thin getting about 7 dozen cookies out of one batch of dough. 

 
 

 Now this is the fun part!
    
 
...and this is when you get to be creative!
 



 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Aaaahhh cute Ari picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that pic is adorable! Where did the time go?! Cookies look delicious making John happy I bet! I would think the girls would come home just to have some cookies!!! It is after all ONLY a 4 hour drive (or less now!).LOL

    ReplyDelete

The Gift

  Delivered this week, a gift I never expected arrived in the mail.  This story begins, it seems a lifetime ago, when I worked at Owens Comm...